A macro lens allows a photographer to get up close to minute and interesting details. Unlike regular lenses, macro lenses can focus at a very close range with greater clarity. There are few limits to what you can capture as a macro photographer. Some of the most popular objects to photograph are insects, flowers, and food. This guide will give you everything you need to know about some of the best Canon macro lenses for 2018, their key specifications, and some buying considerations. We’ll also give you a simple buying guide for macro lenses.
1. Canon 50mm f/2.5 EF Macro
Why it’s great:
- Excellent lens for beginners.
- 1:2 close focus and 1:1 with dedicated optical adapter.
- Compact and lightweight with excellent build quality.
This is an excellent starter lens for those just getting in to macro photography. Despite its relatively inexpensive price, build quality is good and lightweight. Although natively it doesn’t capture images in life-size or a 1:1 ratio, it’s possible to buy an optical adapter that will give this functionality. Images come out in high quality; they’re sharp and color reproduction is good. Its compact size means you can take it just about anywhere without any extra effort. Overall this is a great beginner macro lens.
- Extra equipment is needed for 1:1 capture.
- The autofocus is quite slow, and it often searches for a while before locking on.